Get in mah belleh!*
moar funny picture from I Can Has Cheezburger?
In the past, I’ve really struggled to stomach breakfast within an hour or two of waking up. Recently, I’ve been waking up hungry from making one change – I don’t eat within 2 hours of bedtime, and then I’m asleep for 6-9hours. By the time I’m out of bed, showered, dressed and ready for breakfast, it’s been at least 9 hours since my last meal or snack and I am guaranteed to be hungry!
That said, breakfast for me is a wide range of things, and mostly depends on how much time I have!
On the really rushed days I’ll grab one or some of the following and throw them in my purse:
- An “Oatmeal to Go” square, warmed up in the microwave for 10-20seconds.
- About 0.5cup yogurt in a tupperware with about 0.25cup of granola.
- A banana, apple slices, pear slices, berries, or some other fruit, depending on what’s in season/cheap.
- A juice-box-sized carton of chocolate soy milk.
- Cereal in a tupperware, no milk.
- Cheese slices.
If I’m stuck buying on the run, I’ll stop in between my bus transfers and go to:
- Booster Juice for a small smoothie with a protein shot in it.
- Starbucks for a tall, skinny hazelnut latte. (I *never* have this without food, though, to avoid the gut-rot of coffee on an empty stomach!)
- Safeway for a piece of fruit and a bagel.
If I have more time, I’ll sit down with the morning news and something like:
- Instant oatmeal with a touch of milk and brown sugar and a cut-up banana.
- A PB&B sandwich on whole-grain toast.
- A Nutella and banana sandwich on whole-grain toast. (This is what I had today! So yummy)
- Toasted english muffin with cream cheese and jam.
- A sunnyside up egg on toast.
- Two scrambled egg whites with salsa and cheese in a whole-wheat tortilla.
Now this, obviously, doesn’t include the mornings where I eat far from healthfully! Weekends often see us making French toast or something else really rich. Some mornings see me running into Safeway or Starbucks or a bakery and coming out with something that is all sugar and no nutritional value. Lately, that’s been happening far too often, which is why I’m really keen to build this new morning routine.
Mostly though, I shoot for breakfasts that have a combination of whole grains, protein, fruit and something sweet. I find that they keep me going the longest, and having something sweet (like Nutella, flavoured lattes, and other things) keeps me from being a big ball o’ cravings all day long. I’m also starting to get a better idea of which times I will generally be hungry throughout the day, which makes planning all my meals easier.
When I didn’t eat breakfast regularly, there was no pattern to when I would be hungry or what I would be hungry for. Now that breakfast happens every day (whether it’s quality or not!), I’m hungry at pretty much the same times most days. I eat breakfast between 7:30 and 9am, but otherwise, I’m predictable. I’ll start getting hungry again around 11:30am, and I’ll be ravenous if I haven’t eaten by 12:30pm. Sometimes I just need a snack, like a piece of fruit, and then I’m good to hold off with lunch til 1:30 or 2pm, but sometimes I’ll eat lunch at 11:30! I’m *always* hungry between 3-4pm when I’m at work, because I just hit that WALL from being at my desk all day. A snack – preferably something sweet or full of protein – usually does the trick until dinner. I get home around 5.30-6pm, I’m usually starting to get hungry around 6-6.30pm, and we eat between 6-7pm. I’ll then usually have one last snack before 9pm, and then I’m done til breakfast the next morning!
What do you all do for breakfast? Anything you think I should try?
(Also – a big thanks and shout out to the gals at Elastic Waist. They sent me a TON of traffic this week, and I’m hopeful that some of it will stick, and that some of the visitors from EW will comment!)
Filed under: nutrition, routines | 6 Comments