NaBloPoMo: F is for Fashion
For the month of November, I’ll be participating in NaBloPoMo. This means a blog post every single day! To give myself some help coming up with 30 posts, I’m going to follow a pattern. Monday through Saturday each week, I will blog on a letter of the alphabet; Sundays will be whatever I come up with! You can read all my NaBloPoMo alphabet posts here.
Fashion homework, that is!
In the next few weeks, I’ll be buying a new laptop. My trusty 14″ iBook G4 is dying a slow and very painful death after 4 years of use and abuse. I’ll be replacing it with one of the recently-improved 13″ MacBooks.
How is this geekiness fashionable?
Well, that’s where you folks come in.
My iBook was beaten up. A lot. It’s been dropped, thrown in backpacks with scratchy and lumpy things, bumped, sat on (when it was in my backpack), etc. Mostly, it came through those things, although it is scratched beyond belief. Only one crack on a corner, from a tumble off my desk in early 2006. This new computer is going to be my baby, and needs to last for a good long time. I want to give it the best care possible, and my backpack and large purses just can’t do that for it.
I need a new bag! (Yessssssssssss! says the girl who loves purses.)
I’ve been looking online for ages, and nothing seemed right. I need a bag that had the following features:
- Protection for my laptop. It doesn’t need to survive nuclear warfare, but it should protect against crowded buses, airline overhead compartments, and my klutzy self.
- Enough room to act as a laptop bag AND a purse. None of this carrying-two-bags business – my wallet, cell phone, and dayplanner should fit with the laptop and its charger. (Ideally, this will mean that there is a removable laptop case within the bag.)
- It needs to not be ugly.
- Or boring.
- Water-resistant or water-proof would be a bonus. I do live in Vancouver, after all.
- Wearable over my shoulder, purse-style. I could settle for a messenger bag style, maybe. No backpacks.
- Under CAN$150 including shipping. While the Canadian dollar is doing well (US$1.10 today!), shipping and customs costs are still brutal if I shop internationally.
With all those in mind, I found two
perfect almost perfect bags today – Gina B’s Bella and Molly. Stylish? Check! Roomy? Check! Protective? Check! Under $150? HELL NO. Try $US288, plus shipping and customs fees.
This Diane von Furstenburg business case is almost perfect too, although I’m not sure I want pink!
So – is it possible to be fashionable and geeky for under $150?
Filed under: lifestyle, NaBloPoMo | 1 Comment